Unexpectedly TeenBot is home from Marine boot camp. He had an unexpected health issue pop up and was discharged to come home and deal with it. It’s treatable – he should even be eligible to enlist in the military again after six months with a medical waiver, if that’s what he wants to do. But it’s rough on him, coming home without a clear path forward just when most of his friends are heading off to college. I will say no more, since it’s not my tale to tell – but there it is.
Mouse has finally gotten to hunt for Pokemon. I swapped phones with them* two weeks ago because their iPhone 4 could not run the necessary iOS to download Pokemon Go. Alas, my 4S fell out of their pocket on their very first PokeWalk, ushering in many days of darkness. Mouse got the old iPhone back until their “new” refurbished 4s showed up from Amazon yesterday. I have been using my Blackberry Q10 as a stop-gap and waiting for the Amazon phone fairy to bless me as well.
*I am attempting to honor Mouse’s preferred pronouns. It bugged me a lot at first as a grammar traditionalist, but I’m starting to get a kick out of vicariously rejecting the gender binary.
Uncle Sam’s Blackberry doesn’t let me download Pokemon Go (or any other apps of any other kind), but I think I caught a Pokemon in my comments section:
I was overloading on work and then I visited a bunch of national parks in Utah (highly recommend) and then I came home. I know that the experience of all that beauty was restorative, but I have been playing a lot of solitaire and oversleeping since my return. And falling asleep in front of the computer.
But a friend’s son killed himself Tuesday. How horrible! I am so terribly sorry for my friend and his son’s mother.Whatever ennui or parental frustration I’m feeling as I wait for my nest to empty, it’s a blessing compared to the finality of losing a child.
Scrivening by day and parenting by night wears a girl out, man. In no particular order:
- I paid good money to get Mouse’s hair dyed purple at the ends. Remind me never to do that again. The color is amusing but it’s still leaching out of her hair and into everything – clothes, bed linens, bathtub, skin. And it cost a freakin’ fortune, even at a Haircuttery.
- My imaginary farm/container garden produced some cucumbers and tomatoes. I am enjoying this. I think I may try composting this winter to prepare for the spring once the plants finally quit producing. Also growing dill and tarragon, which I can bring indoors (assuming the cat doesn’t eat them).
- ANOTHER SQUIRREL GOT IN OUR PLACE but we extracted it with minimal difficulty and much less trauma than last year.
- TeenBot in his junior ROTC uniform is alarmingly adult.
- Went to Michigan last weekend and had a wonderful visit. Thank you Congress for not shutting down the federal government this fall.