This morning around 2, I unlocked the “Windsor Knot From Internet Diagram When Husband Is Out-Of-Town And TeenBot Has Uniform Day For JROTC” achievement. This also gets points for solving the “Pissed-Off Teen So Frustrated He Rejects Help From Older Brother And Won’t Sleep” challenge and the “Anxious Tween Girl Can’t Sleep When Older Brothers Sound Angry” challenge. This and the “Successful Tween Sleepover” achievements should help me make up the lost points from when we had to take away Podrostok‘s phone and ground him for Reasons.
Today’s quest is multiple medical appointments in multiple states plus completing USAJOBS application for HR job that would be less than two miles from where we live plus completing load of delicate laundry that has to be hung up exactly as it comes out of dryer almost dry so it won’t wrinkle and I can wear it to work. I lose points on this quest for using annual leave and burning inordinate amounts of gasoline, but it helps me in trying to unlock the “Teen Orthodontia Complete,” “Chronic Pain Management,” “Work-Life Balance,” and “Professional Satisfaction” achievements.
You may want to start your doomsday prepping. My daughter had a sleepover party. With my husband in residence. And there was no weeping or yelling or under-the-breath grumbling in Russian from any side. I feel shockingly … normal. (Insert picture of “normal” SpongeBob with his square edges rounded off.)
(I think my 17 year-old may have slept part of the night on a park bench, but that’s a whole other story.)
Scrivening by day and parenting by night wears a girl out, man. In no particular order:
- I paid good money to get Mouse’s hair dyed purple at the ends. Remind me never to do that again. The color is amusing but it’s still leaching out of her hair and into everything – clothes, bed linens, bathtub, skin. And it cost a freakin’ fortune, even at a Haircuttery.
- My imaginary farm/container garden produced some cucumbers and tomatoes. I am enjoying this. I think I may try composting this winter to prepare for the spring once the plants finally quit producing. Also growing dill and tarragon, which I can bring indoors (assuming the cat doesn’t eat them).
- ANOTHER SQUIRREL GOT IN OUR PLACE but we extracted it with minimal difficulty and much less trauma than last year.
- TeenBot in his junior ROTC uniform is alarmingly adult.
- Went to Michigan last weekend and had a wonderful visit. Thank you Congress for not shutting down the federal government this fall.