- The plus of living in a 1940’s townhouse is the way the windows are placed to create good cross-ventilation.
- The minus of same is that, with the windows open, our neighborhood gets a lot noisier. Between the little kids outside yelping and the neighbor lady having a high-volume phone conversation in some other tongue, Mouse is having trouble concentrating on her studies. (This may also have something to do with the fact that she stayed up almost all night last night while “sleeping” over with a friend.)
- Mouse frets a lot when she hasn’t had enough sleep.
- Another minus of 1940’s construction is that our kitchen and bathroom venting is almost entirely passive. There’s a sort of exhaust fan on the oven, but there’s no fan in the bathroom. This means that my living room now reeks of burnt cooking oil, and the bathroom paint is peeling.
- I forgot the correct temperature for the cooking oil until I was halfway through making a batch of syrniki.
- When Mouse is fretful she wants a lot of reassurance about her homework.
- We’re supposed to go to the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria today and get a new cat.